The UK Box-Office – John Carter Wins The Battle But Not The War
The UK box-office may only be 4% down on last year (which with things as they are going is a blessing in disguise) but when one considers that this week heralds the arrival of a $250 million Disney production you’ve got to wonder where it all went wrong.
Here’s our look at the UK box office this week and my stab at answering that question.
The Dubious Winner – John Carter
With a weekend intake of £1,960,414 from an actually quite low 456 sites may have temporarily won the day but what John Carter bound to lose is a shed load of cash. Where did it all go wrong? There was $250 million dollars, 26 months in production before release and a supremely confident Andrew Stanton at the helm. Well is obvious isn’t it? All of the above.
Whoever thought that a supremely average IP such as John Carter of Mars would be the »
- Ross Jones-Morris
- John Carter tops UK box office (telegraph.co.uk)
- Willem Dafoe, Andrew Stanton, and Dominic West Dish on Their John Carter Journey to Mars (popsugar.com)
- What’s in a Name? Everything. (w5blog.com)
- John Carter is Marred: Thoughts on Big-Budget Schadenfreude & Film Media Hypocrisy… (them0vieblog.com)
- ‘John Carter’ leads UK box office, ‘The Raven’, ‘Bel Ami’ fall short (digitalspy.co.uk)
- /Filmcast Ep. 178 – John Carter (GUEST: Katey Rich from CinemaBlend) (slashfilm.com)
- John Carter takes charge of U.K. box office (hollywood.com)
- Weekend Box Office – THE LORAX Continues to Soar; JOHN CARTER Falls to Earth (collider.com)
- ‘John Carter’ Box Office Tracking: $25 Million Opening In The Cards For Big-Budget Film? (news.moviefone.com)
- ‘John Carter’ Taylor Kitsch star takes on role of epic novels (abclocal.go.com)
Posted on March 14, 2012, in Uncategorized and tagged $250 million, Andrew Stanton, Box office, Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Carter, Mars, Taylor Kitsch, The Walt Disney Company. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.